Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Flight of the Fear

The last two nights I have hardly been able to sleep.  Anxiety has riveted through me and kept me at a level of unease that has made it impossible to sleep, focus, or believe that things would be okay. 

Today, though, I made it past those things and am another day ahead in my path to healing...

My youngest son flew all by himself today.  He will be seven in just a few short weeks.  You wouldn't know it by hanging out with him, though.  He is articulate, outgoing, witty, and fun.  He has a security about him that most adults I know only strive to achieve or at the least appear to have.  So I was not concerned about him flying alone (he did have an unaccompanied minor attendant, so he wasn't ALL by himself). 

Matter of fact, as we drove to the airport (at 3:30 a.m.) he talked to me about how excited he was.  He explained to me that when the airplane takes off it's like a motorcycle popping a wheelie off of a big ramp.  And that it's "awesome".  He fully planned to make friends; at which time I tried to reiterate 'stranger danger' and that he needed to not talk the ear off of his neighbors.  He talked about having a snack and a drink and went on and on about how cool it was. 

See I wasn't afraid of how he'd do on the flight.  I wasn't afraid of  him getting lost, or being scared, or crying for the next five hours.  Those things really didn't cross my mind. 

No, I was afraid he was going to die.  That his plane would crash.  Because that's what my kids do ... they die. 

After I put him on the plane I went to the window and waited until the plane left and I watched him soar safely into the blue sky before leaving.  As I was standing there, praying that God not take another child from me, a butterfly floated up to the window, hovered, then flew and landed on the wing of the plane.  I suddenly had peace.  I knew that was God's promise.  That he was sending peace, comfort, and a special angel to watch over the flight, to watch over my son.  I felt a peace and a closeness with Colton.  I fully and firmly believe both my sons were on that flight.  And I felt calm; a calm I hadn't felt in days (maybe months).

My son made it safe.  He says his flight was "awesome".  He - luckily - sat by two other unaccompanied minors who he made friends with.  Grandma reported they all waved and yelled goodbye, without a care in the world.  Innocent pure happiness. 

Today wasn't just a flight to vacationing with granny and pop for my son.  Today was a flight of my fear, leaving me and being replaced with peace.  Peace that God is in control.  Do I believe my children won't die? No.  I know fully they could still be taken from me at any time.  The truth is our children are a gift from God, on loan to us, until they are called back  home.  However I do have peace that I cannot control this life.  Worry and fear do not prevent bad things from happening; they do prohibit happiness from coming in.  The peace of the fear taking flight from me is freeing.  The peace of a flutter of a butterfly, the giggle of a little boy safe and sound, and the promise that an angel is always surrounding us. ~xoxo~

No comments:

Post a Comment