Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Gift From Colton

There is no doubt that in the last almost four years I have changed a lot.  For a while it was not for the better.  For a while I was lost in the rabbit hole of chaos, disillusion, and grief.

I have come a long way since that period, though.  I have learned a lot about me, others, life, and love.  I have gained control of my emotions, my reactions, and my destination.  Of course, it's all fluid.  Some days are easier than others. Some days I fail.  Some days I feel completely in control and at peace.

Every day I feel is a victory.

Every day I am one step further in life than I thought I could be when he died.  I didn't know how I would survive the next minute, let alone an hour or a day. I felt so weak and lost.  So scared, so vulnerable.

Now I feel strong.  I feel protected and confident.  I feel like I have survived the worst, I can survive anything.  I know that even though I face huge challenges and things aren't certain, I am certain I can make it through.  I have an angel on my side, cheering me on, bringing peace to my heart amidst fear and uncertainty.  When I DO start to panic I breath deep and think "If I survived losing Colton, I can survive anything".

The gifts Colton gave me are many.  While I would trade them all to have him back ... I am glad to have them.  I am appreciative of all I've learned, all I have become.  I know that I am a better person now than quite possibly I have ever been.

And if that's what I gain, then I will appreciate it.  And hope that every day Colton can be proud I am his mom and he has touched my life more than just in a sad way.  His loss will always be my darkest time; his lasting footprints on my life will be the brightest points.

I love you Colton.  Thank you for all you were and all you'll forever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment