Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I Still Cry

I still cry all the time.  More so than I have ever cried in all my before-Colton life. 



I cried the other day in the shower.  Delaney is sick and I thought, for just a moment, what if it's something horrible.  She's been sick off and on (more on) for six months.  What if it's something more?  And just at the thought, I cried. Big, ugly crocodile tears flowed from my eyes, from deep in my soul, as I worried about what-if.

I cried the other night when Delaney grabbed Colton's heartbeat monkey and squeezed just right.  The sound of his sweet heartbeat penetrated a cold, dark, sad place in my heart - Colton's spot - and I cried. Silent, steady streams of tears just rolling down my cheek.  A smile broke through, though, as Delaney's eyes lit up with delight at the sound and she hugged the monkey tighter and giggled. 

I cried when I got the email that my Molly Bear would be shipped in August.  I cried because this perfect little bear will weigh just what my little Colton weighed and will forever be made just for him, in remembrance and honor of who he was. 

I cried a little silent cry while at the playground with Delaney as I watched a little boy who had to be about Colton's age run around with reckless disregard through the jungle gym and clambered over the steps and bolted down the slide.

I cried when I read the PM reaching out to me about a mother struggling after her baby died of SIDS.  A loss that I cannot even fathom.  A loss that I still fear.  I still check Delaney multiple times through the night to make sure she's breathing and just peacefully sleeping.

I find the more I cry, the more I connect and heal.  Tears do not make me weak, they strengthen me.  They connect me to moments, to others, to life.  When I didn't cry, I was dead. I felt nothing.  Reuniting with our tears, embracing them, allows us to feel.

I still cry. And that's a good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment